There Are No Excuses For
What makes these cases even worse and more unacceptable is that Medication Errors are easily preventable. There is no excuse for a medication error, and there are simple safety precautions and procedures that, if followed, would have prevented these horrible medication errors. For example:
- Pharmacists must check their work and compare the pills in the bottle to what was actually prescribed.
- Legible handwriting – there is no excuse for sloppy penmanship when lives are at stake.
- A Pharmacist should call the doctor if he is unsure of what is written on the prescription.
- “Take as directed” is not a proper instruction. Write out the medication directions.
- Abbreviations should not be used. They can be misinterpreted and are confusing.
- Pharmacists need to pay attention to look alike drug names.
- Pharmacies must be properly staffed with enough Pharmacists to handle the volume of prescriptions.
- Drug Allergies should be checked before writing or filling a prescription.
- If a Pharmacist takes a moment to discuss the medication with the patient errors can be discovered.
- Check a Patient’s wristband to ensure the medicine is not for another.
The harm from getting the wrong prescription, wrong drug, or wrong dose can be devastating. Death and serious injuries from Prescription Errors and Pharmacy Malpractice are, unfortunately, common, and include Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS), Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis (TEN), and other permanent injuries.
If you or a loved one has been injured, you need an attorney with a proven record of results and success, who knows the ins and outs of Medication Error, Prescription Error and Pharmacy Malpractice cases.
If you or a loved one have been the Victim of a Medication or Pharmacy Error, please call us for a Free Consultation at 877-781-7080 or 770-457-9222. Or if you prefer, contact Trent directly by filling out this form here.